Do you procrastinate when it comes to eliminating the clutter in your life?
Listen, we’re all guilty of putting things off simply because we don’t want to deal with them, but with clutter it’s often just a matter of not knowing where to start.
Here are a few simple habits you can start implementing today that will help you jump start the process of getting rid of the clutter that’s weighing you down — mentally, emotionally and physically.
You dream about a clutter free home – about creating a peaceful retreat that nurtures your soul and your spirit – but when you look around, all you see is cluttered spaces –
Every available surface seems to be covered with papers, mail, clothes (clean and dirty) and to be quite honest you’re so overwhelmed by all of it – you’d rather drown yourself in Facebook or another TV marathon than to deal with it.
Listen, I get it — I truly understand where you’re coming from — there was a time in my life when I cringed at the thought of unexpected guests dropping in, because no matter how hard I tried I was still disorganized (Lazy has never been a part of my vocabulary – I’ve worked hard all my life — but prior to me ‘getting my act together’ my house didn’t reflect that)
It wasn’t until I started adding positive habits to replace the bad ones that I began to see progress and now that I’m on this side of all that clutter — I can promise you with every fiber of my being that it was worth the effort.
When you’re drowning in ‘stuff’ it’s hard to get your eyes off “the BIG picture” and focus on the baby steps you can take today to start the process.
Like losing weight – Focusing on the grand total instead of the next pound – makes the whole process so overwhelming it’s easier to do nothing. It’s when you change your focus and concentrate on losing the next pound …then it becomes ‘doable.’
The same goes with organizing your home – Focus on changing ONE thing.
Create ONE new habit-then continue adding momentum by adding one more and one more and soon you will realize this is your new normal.
Here is a list of 7 habits in start building into your daily routine that will help you live a clutter free life however, (unless you’re extremely disciplined) I suggest you just focus on ONE until it becomes so ingrained into your DAILY routine that you don’t even have to think about it.
When it comes to living a clutter free life, it’s much more important to consistently take small steps, than to designate an entire day to the project .
Consistency is the key to success no matter what area of your life needs attention.
I’m often asked this question “Where do I start?”
Again it’s like deciding to live a healthier lifestyle, most of us reach a point where we’ve had it, so we go on a drastic diet that can’t be maintained long term, get discouraged and QUIT. Can you relate? (I hate to keep using this analogy but this is the area of my life I’m working on now…so it’s fresh in my mind)
Instead, we should start making small daily changes like drinking more water, adding a fruit or veggie to every meal and choosing organic products when possible.
The same is true with decluttering. It’s not a ‘once and done’ thing… but a process of baby steps completed consistently over time until one day you wake up and realize the cluttered life you once lived is a thing of the past.
Reality Check – Take Care of the DAILY Clutter and you won’t need a ‘decluttering marathon.’
Here are some Tips to get you Started:
- Quick Sort mail on a daily basis. (note…I’m not saying stop everything and process the mail as soon as you bring it inside) but you can immediately get rid of ‘junk’ that you know in your heart you will never look at! Next, separate bills/statements by putting them in their own folder or basket. Hopefully you will have time later to take care of these bills but in case you don’t they’re in one place and you won’t have to look for them later.* Grace Note: I know…(ideally) you’re only supposed to handle paper once but reality check – for some of us that’s not possible..or, maybe it’s possible but we choose not to be obsessive about this stuff.
- Do the dishes. Make sure the sink is empty every evening before going to bed. Often, we put off tasks because we ‘think’ they take longer than they actually do.
- Do a quick nightly pick-up. Spend 10 to 15 minutes picking up and putting away things you’ve used throughout the day. Even 2 year olds can do this! Just imagine what a ‘gift’ you’re giving your child when you teach them to ‘live’ a clutter free life.
- Make the bed. I know you’ve heard me say this before (but some of you still aren’t doing it) J This ONE step sets the mood for the entire day….and it takes LESS than 2 minutes to complete.
- Plan your meals. I’m not talking about an ‘elaborate menu plan’ but you will be amazed at the amount of stress you can eliminate from your life just by taking a simple piece of paper at the beginning of each week and jotting down a meal idea for each day, determined by the ‘other’ things you’ve got going on that day. (I know this is a weekly, not daily task…but it sure makes the daily run smoother)
- Decide tonight what you’ll wear tomorrow. This one is HUGE…if you’re tired of always being late.
You can do this! I believe in you.